The Voice of the Shepherd University Student Body Since 1896

Students Mourn the Loss of Life on Campus

Leigh Koonce, News Editor

Shepherd University is in mourning after the unexpected loss of two students this past week.

Christopher Files, a 2006 graduate returning to pursue dual undergraduate degrees was killed in a motorcycle accident on Friday, Oct. 25 near the Spring Mills area of Berkeley County. According to the Hagerstown Herald, Files was airlifted to Inova Fairfax Hospital after his motorcycle hit a boulder.

Files had graduated from the department of computer and information sciences and returned in 2013 to study both accounting and business administration.

Christopher’s wife, Michelle Fravel Files is an adjunct instructor at Shepherd. A memorial service for Christopher was held on Oct. 31. Those wishing to make a contribution in Files’s name may still do so to the St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital or the Berkeley County Humane Society.

Omayemi “Yemi” Amorighoye passed away on Oct. 31 near the Shepherdstown, Washington County border. According to a Washington County news release, his body was found in the Potomac River.

Amorighoye was a senior in the department of communications with an anticipated 2013 graduation date.

In separate emails to faculty and students, Dr. Tom Segar, the vice president for student affairs, communicated the deaths. He wrote that he was deeply saddened to share the news of each student’s passing and to keep their family in thoughts and prayers.

Barbara Byers, the director of counseling services, stated her office has resources available for students and faculty who may need assistance in coping with these losses.

Byers indicated that both “faculty and students” had visited the center recently. She further stated, “For most it was just a place to feel their grief and get support while the shock of the news settled.” Byers acknowledged the “grieving process itself differs from person to person,” but that her office is willing to help in any way it can.

John McCarrick, a communications major, knew Amorighoye for a couple of years. He made use of the counseling center’s services and said he wanted “to get information about the remembrance ceremony.” He also wanted information about ways he might be able to help mutual friends he and Amorighoye shared.

Dr. Jason McKahan, an associate professor of communications, said his department is “devastated by his passing” and that professors are “at a complete loss as to what has happened.”

The Communication Department is working with student affairs to host an upcoming remembrance ceremony for Yemi, although nothing has been scheduled at this time. All students and faculty wishing to share memories or any final recollections should keep an eye out for more information on the ceremony.